Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN)
The Union Cabinet has approved a new program titled Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN)
in Higher Education aimed at tapping the talent pool of scientists and entrepreneurs, internationally
to encourage their engagement with the institutes of Higher Education in India so as to augment the
country's existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of quality reform, and elevate India's
scientific and technological capacity to global excellence.
GIAN is an evolving scheme which will initially include participation of foreign faculty in Institutes as
Distinguished / Adjunct / Visiting faculty / Professors of Practice, etc., to participate in delivering
Short or Semester-long Courses.
MHRD Scheme on International Summer/ Winter Term (ISWT) under GIAN:
Objective: To arrange Guest Lectures by international renowned experts.
Long and Short Term Goals:
- To increase the footfalls of reputed international faculty in the Indian academic institutes.
- Provide opportunity to our faculty to learn and share knowledge and teaching skills in
cutting edge areas.
- To provide opportunity to our students to seek knowledge and experience from reputed
- To create avenue for possible collaborative research with the international faculty
- To increase participation and presence of international students in the academic institutes.
- Opportunity for the students of different Institutes/Universities to interact and learn
subjects in niche areas through collaborative learning process.
- Provide opportunity for the technical persons from Indian Industry to improve
understandings and update their knowledge in relevant areas.
- Motivate the best international experts in the world to work on problems related to India.
- Develop high quality course material in niche areas, both through video and print that can
be used by a larger body of students and teachers.
- To document and develop new pedagogic methods in emerging topics of national and
Further details of this GIAN program can be accessed at: http://www.gian.iitkgp.ac.in